Making a new language?

Discussion started , with 15 comments.
  1. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

Hello, I looked around and could not find any information on how to write a new language on here. I have a freaking hilarious idea. Can someone tell or please point me in the direction on how to do this? Thanks! :)

2. Jonne Haß Manager

Go to https://webtranslateit.com/en/projects/3020-Diaspora/invitation_request and click "Suggest it to Diaspora", pick the desired language from the list. If you want to add a variant of an existing language and it's not in that list, write it here and I'll see if I can add it. If it's a whole language you need to request it at WebTranslateIt's support.

3. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

I want to add "Valley Girl" to the list. it's a derivative of English x)

4. Jonne Haß Manager

I'm not sure, we already have a couple of fun variants to English and their lack any serious contributions. en-pirate is below 20%, en-1337 at 50% and although not a fun variant, en-shaw at 45%. That's after 3 years of existence.

5. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

I've been working on Pirate quite a bit today and soon I'll do 1337. I will take full responsibility for Valley Girl if created.

6. Jonne Haß Manager
  7. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights
  8. Jonne Haß Manager

Amazing, only machine translation would be faster ;)

9. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

Thanks :) Though I'm paying for it with my lats and other back muscles.. ow..

10. Jonne Haß Manager

How should we go about proofreading? Do you think you find somebody for it or should I just mark it as completely proofread?

11. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

I reckon I'll just look over the text and make a few corrections or word things a little more... authentically... for lack of a better word. I've found a few misspellings in the English as well. :)

12. Jonne Haß Manager

For these please send pull request. You can simply use the pencil icon here https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/blob/develop/config/locales/diaspora/en.yml

13. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

How so? Do I have to manually enter them? Kinda new to this :P

14. Jonne Haß Manager

The English locale needs to be edited on Github, since syncing in both directions is rather cumbersome and might accidentally overwrite some changes. Luckily you can just edit the file on github and send a pull request.

15. Theatre-X English (Pirate) Translator with all proofreading rights

I think I see what you mean. So I basically edit that file which Github will clone on to my account and then I edit the entries and add in the translations then just send a pull request.

16. Jonne Haß Manager

Yes, but only do that for the *en.yml files, everything else should be changed here on WebTranslateIt ;)