It looks nice

Discussion started , with 16 comments.
  1. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de
    Dimitris Tzortzis Greek Translator with all proofreading rights

I like it I think. Although the loooong list of strings to be translated makes it a bit stressful :)
    It would be great if you could click on the name of the string and see exactly where it falls in the website. But that's probably a feature request for them :)

2. 2906_k_small
    boobaloo Russian Translator with all proofreading rights

I've translated whole Kassi in raw text format, before Juho settled this translating project. Seems that is the only service that handle YAML atm.
    About your wish — indeed that will be excellent but fantastic :D
    Cheers, Oleg

3. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

I'm only starting now :) Wish me luck!

4. 2906_k_small

Sure, man! Keep the rock on :)

5. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

I think the style of Kassi is informal, I mean, it feels friendly. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    So, about the translations, I guess the text has to also feel this way, right? In greek there's different form of verb to say something formally or informally. I think I'm going to use the informal style, as if talking to a friend. What do you think?

6. 2906_k_small

Well, i tried to be as informal as i can, but not fall to full backslapping :D

7. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

Agree.

8. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

Dimitris, you are correct, we have tried to keep the language quite informal. After all, this is about people sharing stuff with each other, helping each other out and making new friends, so I think that informal tone sounds friendlier and is thus more appropriate.

9. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

Would definitely be awesome if you could see the place on a website with a click, but that would probably require quite a bit of effort - for instance, if you are translating strings from the admin interface, you'd need to have admin rights to view the message etc. And sometimes the string might be from an email message, so it's not even available in the UI. But I'll at least try to set up the system so that you can view the translated version instantly after you have translated some pages, so you can at least fix stuff that goes across div borders etc.

10. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

Dimitris, the comment about that one string seems to be deleted now after I removed the string itself. So I post the message about it here again in case you didn't catch it: it was an old string that was not in use in the UI anymore, so the typo didn't matter. I have now removed it from all translations.

One cool addition would also be to connect this service directly to GitHub, so that I could instantly pull the translations from here and then just deploy them to the server.

11. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

I'm thinking about a whole new project that would create a dummy website (ie. no database behind it) with all the scenarios that could happen in the website. The page would be interactive, meaning the translator could be able to click on the various strings that appear on the site and work on each one of them. But that's a huge big different thing I guess and we have some translation to do! :-)

12. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

Juho, thanks, I saw your comment before.
    Yes, the thing with the github would be good :)

13. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

Yep, that kind of dummy site would be cool but it would require a lot of extra code. And many strings are dependent on the value from the database, so it would be difficult to live without the database.

One more note on the Greek translation: it now shows that all the strings are in a "non-proofread" state. In fact they haven't even been translated, I just accidentally copied the English translation in them and when I tried to undo it, it set them to the non-proofread state. So now it does not differ between translated and not translated strings unless you click the "proofread" checkbox. But not a huge problem...

14. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

It seems that they already have the GitHub thing, yay! http://docs.webtranslateit.com/github-integration/

15. 2906_k_small

super-duper! so we could have live updates in a blink!

16. Efdab0480b11ca63416619493ad3c4de

Does this thing do backups? Is it just me or does it feel buggy at times?
    Can I export manually at regular intervals the translation? So I can be sure no work will be lost.
    Thanks!

17. D178a6c07d8ca08f30989808b70a18ec
    Juho Makkonen

The system can be set up in a way that it automatically updates the stuff directly to Kassi's github. That sounds like a good enough backup system to me, but I haven't managed to set it up. I try to do it soon.

Can you see the File Manager tab? I can download stuff from there, but you might not currently have the rights to do so.